Hey,
As you MAY have noticed, I haven't posted for a while now....for a lot of reasons which I don't find necessary to mention. Anyway I decided to put Stoned Sun Vibrations on hiatus and concentrate my efforts to Downtuned Magazine ('n' Radio). Many of you probably know that Downtuned Mag is dedicated to the Greek heavy rock scene but since I've started Downtuned Radio too, I'm thinking of including posts about releases from all over the world. Apparently I'm going to keep a ratio but we'll see how it'll evolve.
From now on, you can find me on Downtuned Mag. And for any bands interested in reviewing/including them in radio's rotation etc., you can come in touch with me through the contact form over there. As I wrote above. I'll try to keep a ratio and at least in the beginning I'll try to "promote" mostly "smaller", more independent bands that deserve your attention.
So I want to thank each and everyone of you out there who supported, read, promoted and helped this blog. Also a big fat thanks to all the bands which helped SSV in their own way.
That's all for now folks! Thanks again! Maybe SSV will be back someday. Or maybe Downtuned will become better than SSV.... Who knows.
Be well and stay heavy!
Cheers,
Thanos
PS: Rock Trips Mixtapes will be back soon.... They'll be the only thing posted from now on. Perhaps some other personal comps too.

22.8.11

Poney - Seamyth (2010)


Poney is a five-piece band from Wausau, Wisconsin formed 6 years ago. So far they have released two EPs and "Seamyth" which is their debut album. "Seamyth" is a concept album based on Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" and I have to say that is a pretty strange record but in a good way...
Poney describe their sound as progressive stoner hardcore but I think it's much more complex. They blend hardcore with progressive, punk with psychedelia, metal with experimental stuff and you can find even grunge here and there. Most of the times this mix works great (and if you take in consideration the lyrics it becomes even better) but at some points it looses the focus (fortunately these parts are very few) in a way that you can't concentrate 'cause you're hearing too many stuff with a lot of changes. But overall it's a fine album with many riffs, quality drumming, appropriate for each case vocals and the right amount of experimentation and heaviness. The good thing is that it can be appreciated by fans of bands like Sword, Melvins, Mastodon or even Smashing Pumpkins or more punk-oriented bands.
*Thanks to Ben Brooks (Poney's drummer) who came in touch. Check out also Romero, another band Ben is involved.


You can download it from their bandcamp page by paying anything you want.
MySpace # Facebook # Buy

No comments:

Post a Comment